Monsignor Carlo F. Montecalvo was born in Woonsocket, Rhode Island, on 17 February 1948, to Mrs. Thelma (Spillare) and the late Marcangelo Montecalvo. He was educated in the Woonsocket public school system until going in the 11th grade to Our Lady of Providence High School Seminary. He graduated from Our Lady of Providence College Seminary in 1969. He attended St. Mary’s Seminary in Baltimore, MD, and received his Master of Divinity Degree in 1972.
Following his ordination to the diaconate in 1972 Monsignor Montecalvo was assigned to Our Lady of Grace Parish in Johnston. Bishop Gelineau ordained Monsignor Montecalvo a priest on 4 October 1973. Following his ordination Monsignor Montecalvo was assigned to Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish in Providence.
In August 1978 Monsignor Montecalvo was released from the Diocese of Providence to the Archdiocese of the Military Services. He was endorsed by the Archdiocese of the Military Services to serve as a chaplain in the United States Air Force and served at the following Air Force Bases:
- Lackland AFB, San Antonio ,TX August 1978 – November 1979
- Teagu AB, South Korea December 1979 – January 1981
- Charleston AFB, South Carolina February 1981 – May 1984
- Upper Heyford AFB, United Kingdom June 1984 – June 1986
- Patrick AFB, Florida July 1986 – June 1987
- Air Command and Staff College, Montgomery , AL July 1987 – June 1988
- Air Force Chaplain School, Montgomery, AL July 1988 – June 1991
- Semach AB, Germany July 1991 – May 1993
- Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colorado June 1993 – June 1996
- Aviano AB, Italy July 1996 – June 1998
- Air Defense University, Washington DC July 1998 -June 199
- Air Mobility Command and US TransCom, Belleville, IL August 1999 – June 2001
- HQ AF Chaplain Service, Washington DC July 2001 – July 2004
St. John Paul II named Monsignor Montecalvo a ‘Chaplain to His Holiness’ with the title of Reverend Monsignor on the 19th of February 2002.
Monsignor Montecalvo retired in the grade of colonel (06) after 26 years of active duty on 31 August 2004. Upon his return to the Diocese of Providence he was appointed pastor of Our Lady of Grace parish, Johnston. He served as pastor from July 2004 to June 2013.
In July 2013 he was appointed Ecclesiastical Representative to the Foundation of St. Michael the Archangel, Vatican City State, Vatican. He was in that position until June 2015.
Monsignor Montecalvo was appointed Pastor St. Sebastian parish, Providence, on 1 July 2015.